The City of Gig Harbor recently broke ground on a major renovation to upgrade Lift Station 4 while creating a Welcome Plaza at Skansie Brothers Park. During construction the city encourages residents and visitors to come watch our park grow and support local businesses while you do.
The beloved Skansie Brothers Park is the hub of activity for the community, and the city is excited about the wonderful changes coming to the park for all to enjoy. A viewing area will be available on Jerisich Dock with an ADA accessible pathway offered, originating from the Skansie pavilion. The City, in partnership with the Downtown Waterfront Alliance, will launch a special promotion to encourage locals to support downtown merchants, businesses and non-profits at Girls Night Out on November 10. The promotion is intended to last through the duration of the project and will culminate with a grand prize drawing of a Gig Harbor Staycation package that will be awarded during opening festivities of the new Welcome Plaza. The Alliance will also be partnering with downtown waterfront businesses on special retail promotions, entertainment and more.
“We need to embrace this necessary project and keep downtown fun and the place to shop and dine throughout the duration of the construction,” says Mary DesMarais, Executive Director of the Alliance. The construction project, taking place at 3207 Harborview Drive along the Gig Harbor waterfront, is scheduled to last through May 2017.
“The City understands this project will have impacts on everyone, especially the businesses, residents and the traveling public,” says City Administrator Ron Williams. “We sincerely appreciate the support you can show to our downtown merchants and businesses. They are awaiting your visit and are open during construction.” The public is encouraged to come to beautiful Gig Harbor, view the construction activities, and remain downtown for shopping and entertainment. Two-way traffic will be maintained on Harborview throughout the majority of the project, enabling access to your favorite stores and restaurants.
In addition to specials and individual themed activities at businesses, there are many great events during the holidays in downtown Gig Harbor that the public is encouraged to attend:
- First Saturday Art Walk – This award-winning monthly event allows art enthusiasts to stroll through nine galleries featuring artist demonstrations, refreshments, and displays reflecting a diverse selection of mediums and styles
- October 31: Trick or Treat in the Harbor – Embrace the park project with a construction themed costume at this annual downtown waterfront event, 3:00 – 6:00 p.m.
- November 10: Girls Night Out – Enjoy merchant specials and shop and dine from 10:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.
- November 26: Small Business Saturday – A great day to shop local and support our downtown waterfront businesses.
- December 3: Tree Lighting – Event at Donkey Creek Park, music and treats for the kids starting at 5:00 p.m.
- December 10 – 11: Candlelight Christmas in the Harbor – Shopping and entertainment throughout the historic downtown including holiday hayrides between 4:30-7:30 p.m.
- December 11: Hark the Harbor – Community caroling event and welcome of Argosy Christmas Ship at Maritime Pier from 6:15 – 6:35 p.m.
To see a complete list of events visit www.gigharborguide.com.
About The Project
This critical infrastructure replacement project is the city’s sewer Lift Station 4 which receives approximately one third of the City’s sewer flows. Lift Station 4 has been scheduled for replacement since 2011. This project will install a new lift station with increased storage volume and improved reliability to handle the anticipated growth. In addition, the current restroom facility is under sized and outdated for the number of people that use this park on a daily basis and will be enlarged, providing additional amenities. Lastly, the project will provide for a new public plaza with seating, shaded areas, and open space, which centers around Gig Harbor’s Fisherman’s Memorial.