Submitted by the Pierce County YWCA
The Pierce County YWCA and the Pierce County Democrats announced their co-sponsorship of the Dignity Drive, an effort to collect personal hygiene products for homeless women living in Pierce County. All donations will benefit the YWCA’s Emergency Shelter. The drive will end on March 31, 2015.
The public is encouraged to donate tampons, pads, shampoos, soaps, lotions, combs, brushes, toothbrushes, toothpaste, nail products, toiletry kits or bags, or other similar items. All donated items should be new and unused. Products such as soaps, shampoos, toothpaste, and lotions should be full-sized, not travel-sized.
Thanks to the support of Pierce County Walgreens stores, donors can drop off donated items at any one of 12 local Walgreens stores participating in the drive. A full list of the participating Walgreens stores follows this article. Donations can also be dropped off at the YWCA, 405 Broadway, Tacoma, or at the Pierce County Democrats office, located in the IBEW union hall, 3049 S 36th Street, Tacoma.
“We appreciate Walgreens’ strong commitment to making our community a better place to live for everyone and thank them for supporting this effort,” said Dignity Drive co-organizer Laura Groves. “We encourage drive participants to consider shopping at one of the participating Walgreens for any items they wish to donate.”
Another Dignity Drive co-organizer, Anna Nepomuceno, explained that “Homeless women can often find donated food or shelter. But what they desperately need, can’t afford, and can’t find are the hygiene products they need every month to stay clean, avoid infection, and live with a little dignity.” Ms. Groves added that “Many donors simply don’t realize the huge unmet need for donated pads, tampons, and other hygiene products. With the Dignity Drive, we hope to start meeting that need.”
Dignity Drive organizers hope that communities throughout the County will join them, the Pierce County YWCA, Walgreens, and the Pierce County Democrats in making Pierce County an even better and more caring place to live for everyone. Dignity Drive donations will be accepted until March 31, 2015. Although this Drive will stop collecting at the end of March, the Pierce County YWCA accepts donations of personal hygiene and other items year-round. Questions can be emailed to Dignity Drive organizers at PCDsDignityDrive@gmail.com.
Where To Donate
- Pierce County YWCA, 405 Broadway, Tacoma
- Pierce County Democrats office, IBEW Hall, 3049 S 36th Street, Tacoma, WA 98409
Walgreens Stores located at:
- Pacific Avenue and 38th Street; 3737 Pacific Ave. Tacoma, WA 98418
- Pacific Avenue and 56th Street; 5602 Pacific Ave. Tacoma, WA 98408
- Pacific Avenue and 84th Street; 8405 Pacific Ave. Tacoma, WA 98444
- Pacific Avenue and 12th Street; 12105 Pacific Ave. S., Tacoma, WA 98444
- Pacific Avenue and Military; 15225 Pacific Ave. S., Tacoma, WA 98444
- Bridgeport Way and Gravelly Lake Dr.; 9505 Bridgeport Way SW, Lakewood, WA 98499
- Steilacoom Blvd. and Hipkins Road; 8224 Steilacoom Blvd. SW, Lakewood, WA 98498
- Canyon Road and 112th Street; 11509 Canyon Rd. E., Puyallup, WA 98373
- Meridian and 116th Street; 4404 S. Meridian, Puyallup, WA 98373
- Meridian and 144th; 14308 Meridian E., Puyallup, WA 98373
- Meridian Street and 176th Street; 10302 Sunrise Blvd. E. Puyallup, WA 98374
- Meridian Avenue and 224th; 22320 Meridian Ave. E., Graham, WA 98338